Setting up a NETGEAR router is very simple, requires a lot of effort and offers great convenience. To get started quickly, the Nighthawk application is the fastest way to do it.
Alternatively, you can also configure the router using its web interface. Rest assured that both methods are. Tested for configuration.
Configuring a NETGEAR router using the Nighthawk application
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to configure your router using the Nighthawk application;
- Get started by downloading the Nighthawk application from the App Store o Google Play on your device.
- Once you have installed the application, use an Ethernet cable to connect your modem to the Internet port of your router.
- Now it is time to turn on the router.
- On your device, connect to the network that comes preconfigured with your router. You can find the network SSID and password printed on the bottom or back of your device.
- After connecting to the network, open the NETGEAR Nighthawk application. Select“New systemconfiguration “.
- Once the application has discovered your router, you will be able to do so. Adjust your settings according to your preferences.
- As a security measure, you will be asked to create two security questions in case you forget your password in the future.
- Be sure to wait for any configuration updates before connecting to Wi Fi if there have been any changes to your network SSID or password.
- The software will automatically check if you have installed the firmware.
- These steps will help you properly set up and configure your router using the Nighthawk application.
If there is an updated version of your router, continue. Install it. Otherwise, you are all set to continue.
Configuring a NETGEAR router using the web interface
To begin, you will need to establish a connection between your modem and your router using an Ethernet cable. This is what you should do;
- Connect your computer to the NETGEAR router by connecting an Ethernet cable. Make sure the router is turned on.
- Once the router is turned on. Connected to your computer, open a web browser and type http://routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- At some point during this process you will be prompted to log in.
- Use the default credentials provided(Administrator for username and password for password) to access the router.
- After logging in, navigate to the Start menu and then go to Settings. Finally select Configuration Wizard.
- Check “Yes”. Continue by clicking on the Next button.
- When the router detects your network, you will be prompted to create a password.
- Choose two security questions for added protection and then reset your administrator password.
- Click the button once you are done with that step.
- Congratulations! You have successfully completed the configuration of your NETGEAR router and modem.
- If there is a firmware update, choose “Yes” when prompted; otherwise, feel free to continue using your installed NETGEAR router.
After configuring your router, you can use the Nighthawk or Orbi application to perform a variety of tasks. These include checking which devices are connected to your network, managing network settings, sharing your WiFi password and performing speed tests.