TP Link routers are considered world-class in terms of quality, reliability and flexibility. Once you have connected a TP Link router to your Internet modem, you can enjoy surfing the Internet. The setup process for a TP Link router is simple and can be completed in a matter of minutes by connecting it to your ISP’s modem.
Here’s how you can quickly set up your TP-Link router;
- First be sure to connect your TP-Link router and modem using an Ethernet cable. The router’s WAN port is easily recognizable because it is yellow in color.
- Then join the network of your TP-Link router either through a wireless connection.
- Now open your preferred web browser. Enter www.tplinkwifi.net (or simply tplinkwifi.net) in the address bar.
- Note; If you encounter any problems logging in with the URLs provided, you can try using 192.168.1.1 or 192.168 . 0.1.
- When you open the TP-Link router login screen, you will be prompted to set up a user name and password to manage the router. Be sure to create a password before clicking“Let’s get started“.
- The next step is to set your time zone. Simply choose the time zone. Continue by clicking on “Next”.
- Now it is time to select your connection type, which can be IP, static IP, PPPoE, L2TP or PPTP. If you are not sure of your connection type, you can choose“Automatic detection“.
- You will have to fill in the fields according to your type of Internet connection.
- After that, you will be asked to decide whether or not to keep the MAC address of your device. If you are not sure what MAC address it is and why it is not recommended to clone one, it is better not to clone it.
- Next, you must configure your network. Most routers allow you to connect networks. Determine if you need more than one network and then configure the SSID and password for each network.
- Once you have reviewed and verified your network configuration, simply click the Save button to confirm its accuracy.
- After configuring the router you will be able to access the Internet. If you already have a TP -Link Cloud account, log in; otherwise, create an account.
How to protect and secure your router?
Make sure your router is protected, secure and has a password set up after you finish configuring it. Here are some steps you can take to ensure the security of your router;
- To begin, select an encryption technology or protocol. There are protocols for data encryption, such as WEP, WPA and WPA2. If you have a router, it is recommended to use the latest and most secure encryption technology. WPA3. However, if you do not have a router, it is advisable to stick with WEP as an alternative. It is important to note that WPA3 is currently the available option so unless there are no other alternatives it is preferable to use WPA2.
- Let’s move on to the next step, which is to create a reliable and secure password for your account. It is important to avoid using passwords that can be easily guessed or deduced. To ensure a level of security, try to combine upper and lower case letters, numbers and unique symbols not commonly seen elsewhere. In doing so, it will create a password that is essentially impossible for even the most advanced computer software to crack.
- Another way to address this problem is to configure filters based on the MAC addresses of the devices. By using the MAC address filtering tool, you can prevent devices from connecting to your network. Only those MAC addresses that you allow will be able to connect, while any other device will not be able to connect for some reason.